The Plant-Based Protein Shake I Can’t Get Enough Of

I have a pretty firm grasp on my fitness routine. Although I do not diet personally, I eat nourishing foods daily, drink lots of water, and work out 6x’s a week. When I indulge, I’m all about chocolate. Chocolate lava cake, truffles, and hot cocoa with peppermint Schnapps are amongst my favorites, so you’ll see these in my IG stories during the holidays. I honor the 90/10 rule, so I eat healthy 90% of the time, so I can indulge for the remaining 10%. What I love the most about Après is that it’s counted in that 90%.

What is Après?

Après, pronounced ‘awe-pray,’ is a plant-based protein shake. In French, the word ‘après’ means ‘after’ so the drink is meant to be enjoyed after a workout hence their hashtag #ownyourafter. It comes in Sea Salt Chocolate, Mint Cacao, Vanilla Bean, and Cold Brew. I’m torn between the two chocolate flavors, but the Mint Cacao is just so refreshing after a high intensity workout.

Nutrition

After a workout, you should always replenish your body to avoid going into ‘starvation mode’ where your body eats up its own tissues. You work hard for those muscles, so to maintain them always opt for something with at least 12g protein in it post-workout. You can find all the nutrition facts on Après’ website, but here is the breakdown of macros in the Mint Cacao:

Net Carbs: 12G

Fat: 8G

Protein: 14G

It’s a very well-balanced post-workout shake if you’re on the go and need something quick and easy to fuel yourself. Before a day of meetings, I’ll throw an Après in my gym bag, catch a SoulCycle ride, and sip on it as I’m walking to my first meeting. It’s also a great mid-morning or afternoon snack to get your through the work day, especially if you’re a busy body looking for simple hacks to get fit.

It’s Plant-Based / Vegan

As I have gotten older I have a newfound appreciation for the plant-based/vegan lifestyle. As much of a carnivore as I am, I notice a huge change in my energy levels when I consume a meal with no meat. I feel lighter on my feet, making me want to do more with my day. I wish I had discovered this way of life when I worked 12-14 hour days in Tech, because all I wanted was more energy in the day (coffee did nothing for me). Après absolutely gives me that feeling of being lighter, and it’s a great way to incorporate a plant-based option into your diet.

Taste

I’m all about taste over everything, and Après does NOT disappoint. The formula is rich and creamy without being overly sweet. It should be enjoyed cold, so I like to pour it over ice and enjoy with a straw post-workout. It’s like a chocolate milkshake except a fraction of the calories and sugar. Feeling creative? Blend the Vanilla flavor with some fresh fruits for a healthy smoothie! Recipes to come soon.

Christina Sundari